[SciPy-user] General_purpose root-finding routines

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jan 29 10:49:59 EST 2003

eric jones schrieb:

> I'm all for more solvers/optimizers -- especially a constrained solver
> for nonlinear optimization problems.  The best I know of is cfsqp (Andre
> Tits is the author I believe), but it isn't open source.  If we could
> get one of comparable quality in SciPy, that would be a *huge* addition.
>
> There are probably a lot of more specialized solvers for specific
> problem types that would also be big additions.
>
> I don't know of anyone working on such things.
>
> eric

BTW, I wonder if I can solve the following problem with scipy

P(\lambda(\mu), \mu) x(\mu) = 0
0.5 (x^H x -1) = 0  (Normalization condition)
y^T \frac{\partial P}{\partial \lambda} x = 0

P is a so-called lambda-matrix, for example P = \lambda^2 M + \lambda D
+ K + \mu S
x right-eigenvector
y left-eigenvector
^H : hermitian