[SciPy-user] Installing SciPy on Windows

Leighton Pritchard lep at aber.ac.uk
Fri Jan 17 05:15:50 EST 2003

Hi all,

Having successfully installed SciPy from source on Linux (Mandrake 8.2),
I'm now having difficulties installing SciPy on Windows. Can anyone please
help me with the following problem:

My system:
Windows 2K (SP2 with pre-SP4 hotfixes)
Python 2.2.2
MinGW 2.0.0
Visual Studio 6
Numeric-22.0
PIII 350, 320Mb RAM
fftw win32 libraries (in C:\)
F2PY2e-2.32.225-1419

Using the most recent installer SciPy-0.2.0_alpha_154.4500.win32-py2.2.exe
(Jan 16 release), installation proceeds smoothly, but running scipy.test()
throws an error:

 >>> import scipy
 >>> scipy.test()
[...]
No test suite found for scipy.stats.rw
  creating test suite for scipy.stats.stats

which brings up a dialog box: "The instruction at 0x77fcce38 referenced
memory at 0x00000004. The memory could not be written" - clicking OK
obviously closes the Python interpreter.

The reported addresses and the stage at which the scipy.test() call fails
are not always consistent. I've had the tests crash out at the

stage, too.

I'm having troubles installing from source on Windows, too, but I thought
I'd ask for help with the binaries first.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard AMRSC
T44, Cledwyn Building