[SciPy-user] Problems installing CVS version of scipy

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Mon Oct 14 13:44:28 EDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Francesc Alted wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the CVS version of scipy following directions stated on this
> mailing list, and everything compiled ok (apparently!).
>
> But, when I try to import scipy, I get the next error:
>
> $ python2.2
> Python 2.2.1 (#1, Apr 21 2002, 08:38:44)
> [GCC 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2
> exceptions.ImportError:
> /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy/linalg/_flinalg.so:
> undefined symbol: dlaswp_
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the key symptom.

> and, curiously enough, if I try to import again, it succeeds!:

It is not so curious as this second import does nothing with respect to
reimporting scipy: in the first import, scipy is put into sys.modules
and after the failure it is kept there, though being unusable.
In the second import, python looks to sys.modules and sees that scipy is
already imported (though unsuccesfully) and does nothing.

>  creating test suite for: scipy_base.type_check
<snip>
> Ran 115 tests in 0.323s

There should be at least 423 tests.

> Using Debian 3.0 Linux here, and installed Numeric 22.0, Atlas 3.4.1 and
> F2PY 2.23.190-1369. The rest of the packages are from distribution.
>
> Any hint?

Yes. Please provide the full output of

  python scipy_distutils/system_info.py

and the exact location of ATLAS libraries with its relevant content:

  ls -l /path/to/atlas/lib/lib{atlas,cblas,f77blas,lapack}.*

to get any useful advice.

Pearu