[SciPy-user] Debian package(s) -- preliminary

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Sun Nov 24 22:59:09 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 06:33:06PM +0100, RA wrote:
> On Samstag, 23. November 2002 04:52:04, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:29:21AM +0100, RA wrote:
> > > See:
> > > http://www.scipy.org/Members/RalfA/packages/Debian-woody-DEB/
> >
> > Hi Ralph,
> >
> > I've just downloaded the diff files and am building packages against
> > current CVS sources of SciPy and F2PY.
> >
> > The immediate problem I've run into is in the build-depends line:
> >
> >   dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: python-dev (<< 2.2)
> >
> > I don't understand how you can build python2.2-* packages with
> > this in the build-depends line.  (?)
>
> I've installed both, the standard 'python' in _woody_ (2.1), and python2.2.

Yeah, but if you install python-dev from python 2.2 (as I have), the
build fails.

There is now a python policy that suggests how python modules should
be packaged.  Briefly, one builds three packages: python2.1-f2py,
python2.2-f2py, and python-f2py.  The last is an empty package that
just depends on the package for the default version of python.

> Yes, you're right, it was intended for woody. And at the moment, I'm
> using only the stable tree. You're right: it should be definitely
> included in sid. But I also believe that scipy vers. 0.2 will be
> released soon. So, it's worthwile to provide woody packages on
> scipy.org, too. Moreover, the differences between these two diff's
> probably only affect some python version numbers, do they?

I've put revised packages up at http://people.debian.org/~smr/scipy
and .../~smr/f2py.

The scipy-core and f2py packages are purely python, so they are
installable directly on a woody system.  The main scipy packages need
rebuilding on a woody system, because they depend on the newer C
library package, for example.

-Steve