[SciPy-user] Debian package(s)? -- and RPM

RA Ralf_Ahlbrink at web.de
Mon Nov 18 12:32:16 EST 2002

On Montag, 18. November 2002 17:50:17, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> > > So, you mean, only _one_ '-f2py' package, with script-file and f2py2e
> > > directory?
> >
> > Yes, exactly.
> >
> > > This would be indeed the simplest version. If someone wants to use
> > > f2py, but not scipy, he/she has to install scipy-core.
> >
> > Yes, that was the point.
> >
> > I thought that debian packaging system takes care of such dependencies so
> > that scipy-core will be selected automatically when one selects f2py,
> > right?
>
> Yes.
>

> I'm a little curious on one point.  How do you bootstrap all this on a
> pristine system?  My understanding is that "scipy" needs "f2py" to build,
> while the latter depends on having "scipy-core" installed.  But "scipy" and
> "scipy-core" are both in the same CVS tree, aren't they?  Are multiple
> tarballs generated from that tree?  What is the set of source tar balls
> and in what order do you build them?

I'm just building new RPMs with scipy-core splitted. Yes, now I have to use
two tarballs. And I created a setup-core.py:

##########

#!/usr/bin/env python
"""
setup-core.py for installing the 'core' of scipy

Usage:
   python setup.py build/install

"""
import os,sys
from scipy_version import scipy_version
from distutils.core import setup

if __name__ == "__main__":

    print 'SciPy Version %s (core)', scipy_version
    setup (name = "SciPy (core)",
          version = scipy_version,
          maintainer = "SciPy Developers",
          maintainer_email = "scipy-dev at scipy.org",
          description = "Scientific Algorithms Library for Python",
          license = "SciPy License (BSD Style)",
          url = "http://www.scipy.org",
          packages=['scipy_distutils',
                    'scipy_distutils.command',
                    'scipy_test'],
          package_dir = {'scipy_distutils':'scipy_distutils',
                         'scipy_test':'scipy_test',
                         },
          )

#########

Life was easier with only one scipy-package...