SEGFAULT from importing _minpack.so (was Re: [SciPy-user] install

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri May 24 13:24:14 EDT 2002

I just remembered an important piece of this puzzle.  I was experience
these funny segfaults on Mandrake 8.2 as well until I changed the compiler
flags in /usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile  to remove the -fPIC option
that is there.

This causes all extension modules to not be compiled with the -fPIC
option.  This seems to have fixed the problem for me as I have not had
trouble since then (and promptly forgot what I had done.)

I'm sorry I didn't remember this earlier.

-Travis O.