SEGFAULT from importing _minpack.so (was Re: [SciPy-user] install problem on Mandrake-8.2)

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Wed May 22 05:12:57 EDT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Gerard Vermeulen wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 May 2002 23:02, Pearu Peterson wrote:
>
> > Here follows another idea. It seems that you can import all other
> > extension modules except _minpack.so. Can you confirm that? Look
> > in scipy/build/lib.linux-i686-2.2/scipy/* for *.so files and try to import
> > them directly one-by-one. Do you find other failing modules?
> >
> Yes _minpack.so is the only failing module

Good, in the sense that the problem is localized.

The next step would be playing around with

  scipy/optimize/_minpackmodule.c

file. You can do that directly in scipy/optimize directory and building it
locally using

  ./setup_optimize.py build --build-platlib=.

and then

  python -c 'import sys;sys.path.insert(0,"optimize");import _minpack'

My suggestion would be to start commenting out various codelets from
the scipy/optimize/_minpackmodule.c file and what it includes until you
can succesfully import it.

> Tonight, I will try if scipy-0.2 works with Python-2.1.x on this machine.
>
> But my motivation for installing scipy-0.2 is driven by an incompatibility
> between scipy-0.1 and Python-2.2 (I managed to build scipy-0.1 for
> python-2.2.1)
> The problem is with colex in pstats.py (in scipy-0.1):

> SyntaxError: unqualified exec is not allowed in function 'colex' it contains
> a nested function with free variables
> >>>

> Is there a workaround for this? Apparently the semantics of exec
> changed between Python-2.1 and Python-2.2.

Note that SciPy-0.1 has many other problems as well that are fixed in
SciPy-0.2 and therefore there is little interest to deal with
SciPy-0.1 problems again.

Regards,
	Pearu