[SciPy-user] install problem on Mandrake-8.2

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at polycnrs-gre.fr
Tue May 21 16:37:04 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 22:02, you wrote:

<snip>

> Obviously something is wrong with dynamic loading of libraries and I just
> have a feeling that it could be related to a similar bug in your system
> Python that we saw months ago for Debian Python. Details can be found in

I agree: the Mandrake developers copied a patch from Debian to build a shared
library version of libpython22 for Python-2.2. I have already built a
Python-2.2.1 with and without this patch: both Pythons have the same problem
with scipy. The Mandrake patch only touches configure and Makefile's.
No source code.

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=521854&group_id=54
>70&atid=105470
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=135461&archive=yes&repeatm
>erged=yes

dynload-shlib.c in Python-2.2.1 contains the lines:
	dlopenflags = PyThreadState_Get()->interp->dlopenflags;
	handle = dlopen(pathname, dlopenflags);

> To check this, get the test code
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=5470&atid=105470&file_
>id=18294&aid=521854
>
> unpack it, and run
>
>   python runme.py
>
> What is the output? If you see that var=1 at some point then it is a
> bug of your system Python.

gcc -shared build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/bar.o build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/fun.o
-o ./bar.so
>From foo: set_var: var=0; Doing var++
>From bar: set_var: var=0; Doing var++
[packer at venus py2.1-bug]$