[SciPy-user] install problem can't find fortran (IRIX/python2.2.1/cvs scipy)

Tim Carlson tim.carlson at pnl.gov
Thu May 2 14:19:03 EDT 2002

I checked out the cvs version of scipy this morning and I am running into
the following problem when doing the installation on an IRIX 6.5.15m
Origin 2000 box.

Some useful info.
---------------------------
>python -c 'import os,sys;print os.name,sys.platform'
posix irix646

>python -c 'import Numeric;print Numeric.__version__'
21.0

>f2py -v
2.13.175-1250

>python scipy_distutils/system_info.py
atlas_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/local/atlas', '/usr/local/atlas']
    include_dirs = ['/usr/include']

fftw_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

x11_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

> uname -a
IRIX64 mulliken 6.5 01091821 IP27

> gcc -v
Reading specs from
/afs/msrc.pnl.gov/files/apps/gcc-2.95.3/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.5/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
---------------------------

I checked out scipy and started the installation with

python setuy.py install

All goes well until I hit the bug in optimize/Zeros/zeros.h which I fix
and happily continue on. My problem comes at

---snip---

ranlib build/temp.irix64-6.5-2.2/librootfind.a
running run_f2py
running build_flib
scipy_distutils.command.build_flib.gnu_fortran_compiler
error: Fortran compiler not available: None

---snip---

It looks to me like setup can't find fortran. Now there are various
fortran's to choose from

> which f77
/usr/bin/f77
> which g77
/msrc/apps/gcc-2.95.3/bin/g77

Both of which should work fine. I compiled ATLAS and LAPACK with SGI's f77

> f77 -version
MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.3.1.2m

I did use "-n32" for ATLAS/LAPACK because I want to be able to run this on
a variety of SGI boxes.

Any ideas?

PS.. I'm trying out the CVS version because the released version seems to
have a bug (at least how I installed it).

------
from scipy import *

x= arange(0,1,.1)
y=x**2
print y
--------

y reports lots of NaN's. I can do y=x*x and get the correct results, but
y=x**2 seems broken.

TIA

Tim

Tim Carlson