[SciPy-user] Re: Eror estimation in leastsq

Nadav Horesh nadavh at envision.co.il
Thu Feb 21 10:16:34 EST 2002

The problem is indeed nonlinear (iterative) least-squares fit. I looked
at two places:

   1. Gnuplot: There estimation is given by: err[i] =
      sqrt(covariance[i][i] * chi_sqr) / (free_degrees_of_freedom).
   2. Numerical recipes book (chapter 15.6): Highly recommends against
      the above method for nonlinear fittings, and suggests more
      elaborate methods such as bootstrapping.

Trying to be not to religious, I read minpack documentation looking a
way to implement the Gnuplot's attitude, but I could not understand how
to get the covariance matrix.

Nadav.