[SciPy-user] tutorial

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Thu Apr 4 13:35:02 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm using the Debian package (version 0.2.1-1) of scipy.

While working my way through the tutorial trying out the examples,
I've stumbled on a few things.  Can anyone help me out with these?

1. no attribute "standard_normal"

The code of Example 5.7 doesn't work:

>>> y_meas = y_true + 2*randn(len(x))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "debian/scipy/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/basic1a.py", line 104, in randn
AttributeError: 'scipy.stats' module has no attribute 'standard_normal'

2. Example 6.3 calls grid incorrectly.  This example shows

    x,y = grid[-1:1:20L,-1:1:20L]

But the "20L" (presumably meant to be a length?) should really
be a stepsize.  The above results in

    >>> print x
    zeros((0,), 'l')

I imagine what is intended is a stepsize of 0.1, i.e.

    x,y = grid[-1:1:0.1,-1:1:0.1]

3. no xplt.plot3

The code of Example 6.4 has a line

    xplt.plot3(x,y,z,shade=1,palette='rainbow')

But I can't find any plot3 functions at all.
I can see plot3d in a few places, but I haven't figured
out how to make Example 6.4 work with them.

Thanks,
-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,