[SciPy-user] plotting enhancements and copyright

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Nov 1 16:14:37 EST 2001

    JJL> I guess many of the possible contributors work at
    JJL> universities, who usually (like other employers) claim
    JJL> copyright on everything that their staff produce in the
    JJL> course of their work, so I'm wondering: do people ever
    JJL> actually take this seriously for relatively small (or large,
    JJL> for that matter) pieces of software without obvious
    JJL> commercial value?

Yes, this can be a real problem if university lawyers want to make it
a problem.

It is why I generally restrict contributions towards and use GPL'd
projects (the so-called "viral" nature is one means of getting around
IP problems if you are producing research-quality (which I'll unfairly
claim is generally of lower quality than commercial) software for
others to use.

I make exceptions sometimes, but one needs to be careful in those
cases.   For those of us with multiple (joint) appointments, this
concern is exponentially more problematic...

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ --------------
FHCRC: M-W: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   T-Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
Rosen: (Mullins' Lab) Fridays, and I'm unreachable except by email.