[SciPy-user] build instructions are not available from scipy home page

Dr. Moritz Braun mbraunm at pe2.kph.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 10 07:04:38 EDT 2001

"Travis N. Vaught" wrote:

> Dr. Moritz,
>
> Travis Oliphant is right, the current version of SciPy from CVS will
> overwrite ("upgrade") an installed Numeric with Numeric 20.1.1.
>
> We are currently discussing alternative strategies of packaging Numeric with
> SciPy while still retaining the Numeric that may be already installed.
>
> We hope to have a solution to the Numeric problem out and updated on the CVS
> within the next day or so.
>
> If you'd like to compile fftw on linux, the following commands *should* work
> from the fftw directory...
> (they haven't really been checked, though)
>
> #These first three lines are necessary to build double-precision libraries
>
> ./configure --enable-threads
> make
> make install
>
> #Now single precision libraries...
>
> make clean
> ./configure --enable-threads --enable-float --enable-type-prefix
> make
> make install
>
> Travis Vaught

> <From Travis Oliphant>
>
> If you want to build the interface to the fftw libraries you need to have
> the
> fftw libraries previously installed (or you can change the line in setup.py
> to build_fftw=0)
>
> We were having trouble making Numeric a subpackage of scipy so I think the
> installation will currently upgrade your copy of Numeric as well.
>
> -Travis Oliphant (the other Travis)

Hi Travis and Travis

I managed to build and install fftw both threaded and single precision
I also got the python build and install going
However there seem to be two bugs
1. the Numeric.pth file in the site-packages directory ends up being
empty!
thus Numeric will not be found , easily fixed by somebody with enougth
python experience
to know about the .pth files.
2. the fftw.so fftw-module is not found by the FFT2.py module in spite
of being in the
same directory namely site-packages/scipy/fft

regards

Moritz