[Scipy-organizers] Mailing for this week.

James Bergstra james.bergstra at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:22:32 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Andy Ray Terrel <andy.terrel at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM, James Bergstra
> <james.bergstra at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We're working on some language in
> > https://github.com/scipy-conference/scipy-conference/pull/38
> > Anyone's welcome to comment!
> >
> > Closely related: are there plans for another best-of-scipy-conferences
> > special journal issue this year?
> >

> It has not been discussed.  I can put you in touch with CS&D where
> they extend the focus issue:
>
> http://iopscience.iop.org/1749-4699/focus/Focus_on_Scientific_Computing_with_Python_(SciPy)
>
> Other opportunities might be the Open Research Software Journal
> http://openresearchsoftware.metajnl.com/

I'd like to raise the profile of SciPy (and the authors that contribute to
it), but I don't want to organize a special issue. So how about this:

1. when inviting full papers, we recommend that authors submit their work
for peer review elsewhere if they want to do that (and suggest e.g. these
two venues), and

2. offer to link to final versions of articles that have gone through peer
review.

This lets us focus on the conference rather than organizing a journal, lets
journals do their thing on their own time, still encourages people to
submit papers to scipy, and lets scipy show off how their contributions
have gone on to be published in various more-or-less glorious places.

If someone else wants to organize another special issue that's even better,
but I'm not up for it.

- James