[Scipy-organizers] Publication and review in SciPy

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 00:17:21 EDT 2013

Hi Sheila,

You mention a few recent sources for publishing externally to SciPy. And you have the same idea as I have of newer publication types and you mention a few examples.

If such a publication has an added value to github code+paper publication, then it makes sense to channel such an external instrument. An external instrument can offer the following advantages:
- A larger/different base of subscribers for advertising
- Recognition from funding organizations and traditional community
- Improved publication technology
- Access to a certain community of experts for reviewing purposes
- Registration with certain archiving entities that gives the publication an ID such as DOI or PMID
- Advanced technology to store the paper/code

If neither of these or similar advantages are present in the external publisher then sticking with github publication model seems a good idea. Perhaps an external source is not necessary for SciPy - perhaps other advertising methods should work better.

Never the less, if you consider an external publishing partner, I believe a test is a good idea. And the sooner the better. I agree with Sheila that last minute in bad.

And note that Partnering for the sake of appearances may be detrimental rather than instrumental.

And Sheila, thanks for supporting the github review process idea practiced in 2012.

        Jacob

Sent from my iPhone