[SciPy-Dev] Unpacking the mailing list: Discourse, Slack = Mailing list

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu May 20 10:45:02 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM Tyler Reddy <tyler.je.reddy at gmail.com> wrote:

> -1 for sunsetting the mailing list
> +1 for having any alternative solutions only "informal--" if people want to go there and interact with newcomers that's fine IMO, but I'd strongly prefer not to have more things/technologies/channels to monitor for decision making

Speaking as a dinosaur - like Matti - I personally prefer email, but I
would say that, despite reservations, my experience with Discourse
hasn't been too bad.   You can ask it to send emails, so you don't
have to monitor it separately.  I have heard Eric L's comment from
others, about greater traffic from Discourse than using email.  When I
went to check for one project, the traffic looked to be of reasonable
quality.

Cheers,

Matthew