[SciPy-Dev] scipy documentation

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 05:49:49 EDT 2021

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 6:55 PM <scipy at blackward.eu> wrote:

> Hi Pamphile,
>

> thanks for sharing your opinion.
>
> As I am new to this mailing list I am a bit unsure, whether discussing
> such a general and versatile topic via the mailing list in detail would
> be appropriate - but I at least want to be as polite as to answer you
> shortly.

It's fine, thank you for sharing your project with us.

Blythooon is just an offer. No developer is forced to use it. Listing
> Blythooon is not the same as recommending Blythooon;

It kind of is. There's an almost infinite amount of packages on PyPI. And
we have millions of users, very many of which are relatively new to Python
or scientific computing. We aim to guide them to best practices and the
most popular and high-quality packages, rather than list everything under
the sun. And if someone doesn't know what they need to install to get
started, it's *definitely* not Python 2.x. So irrespective of the quality
of Blythooon, we will not list any Python 2.*-only installer.

it is possible to
> list something with a hint that you do not recommend the usage of Python
> 2.7.* based systems anymore. That would let the people the freedom of
> choice.

People do have the freedom to choose. All packages are discoverable,
everyone is free to write their own website with information. Search
engines will help surface your project to users who are looking for the
exact thing you offer.

> But as I said, I am quite fine with the decision not to list Blythooon,
> it is your decision.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Ralf