[SciPy-Dev] scipy documentation

scipy at blackward.eu scipy at blackward.eu
Fri Mar 26 08:24:08 EDT 2021

Hi Ralf,

thank you very much for having a quick look into Blythooon and thanks
for your fast and kind response!

NumPy 1.16.6 is the very last version supporting Python 2.7.* - as far
as I know. That is the reason why it is used by Blythooon.

Blythooon packages the latest versions known to fit together around:

Python 2.7.18
PyQtGraph 0.10.0
PySide 1.2.2

Although the current dogma might be "switch to Python 3.*", the
belonging ecosystem is not suitable for production quality software yet,
at least if you ask me. This has several reasons. The primary reason is
the vast number of minor and major incompatibilities between the
different subversions and related packages and the risk which comes with
each updating due to that.

Blythooon is thought for production (industry) quality, scientific
applications with GUI. The purpose of Blythooon is not to provide the
newest packages out there or an ecosystem which is permanently updating.
The opposite is the case, it provides a "freezed" compilation. It is all
about stability and compatibility. All Blythooon installations are 100%
compatible.

You e.g. can check out the combination PyQtGraph 0.11.* with PySide
1.2.* - you then will detect, that this combination has severe
incompatibility issues. It is the same with PyQtGraph 0.10.0 and PysSide
1.2.4 and so on. (You can easily try that out using the test program
bundled with blythooon - the plots will not plot at all or not plot
properly in said cases)

People using Blythooon do not need to resolve these issues on their own,
they just get a working compilation - comprising a fitting SciPy and
NumPy. And you might have noticed, that WinPython for example does not
seem to support Python 2.7.* environments anymore. So, Blythooon fills a
huge gap.

By the way, as long as the current Blythooon version is working without
errors, there will not be (the need for) another release. That might
somehow be the nature of a freezed compilation... It is somehow a
snapshot of time.

But naturally I accept your decision not to promote it on the SciPy
website yet. I just wanted to let you know the idea behind Blythooon...

Keep on folks, I dearly enjoy SciPy, you are doing a great work!

Best Regards
Dominik