[SciPy-Dev] Moving `fisher_exact` and `barnard_exact` to `scipy.stats.contingency`

Arthur VOLANT arthurvolant at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 16:48:27 EST 2021

Hello,

I have been working on the implementation of `barnard_exact` test for the
analysis of contingency tables in gh-13441. It is pretty close to be merged
(any reviews are welcomed btw) and with Matt Haberland, we were thinking of
moving this test and `fisher_exact` test into `scipy.stats.contingency`. At
the moment, `barnard_exact` is in `scipy.stats._hypotests.py` and
`fisher_exact` in `scipy.stats.stats`.

For backwards compatibility, we could leave `fisher_exact` as an alias, but
remove `scipy.stats.fisher_exact` from documentation and add
`scipy.stats.contingency.fisher_exact`.

What do you think?

Thanks for your feedbacks,
Arthur