[SciPy-Dev] Global Optimization Benchmarks

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 03:12:54 EST 2021

Hi Daniel,

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 08.37, Daniel Schmitz <
danielschmitzsiegen at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Awesome work, Andrea!

Thank you, I’m happy you liked it :-) . I have been told to try and
condense the work in a paper and submit it to the Journal of Global
Optimization, although I’m currently doubting that such a prestigious
publication will accept a publication from a nobody like me.

> Would it be possible for you to make your implementations of mcs and
> biteopt publicly available?

For BiteOpt I might be able to - after a bit of polishing, nothing major.
For both I’ll have to ask for permission from my employer, as it was a
little tour the force getting MCS right.

And more out of curiosity, not directly related to scipy: since you work in
> an industry setting, did you compare these open source optimizers against
> commercial ones like knitro?

Unfortunately we don’t have any commercial solver available - as far as I
know - but I would love to redo the work using other solvers (open source
or not). The very interesting exercise from Sahinidis et al:

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10898-012-9951-y.pdf

Although limited to a single set of benchmarks, show that commercial
solvers like Tomlab are very efficient, tightly followed by MCS. It would
be nice to try and apply the solvers in KNITRO, Tomlab, GlobSol (others?)
to all the 16 benchmarks to see where open source stands, but I have no
idea how it could be done as I have no licenses for those.

Andrea.