[SciPy-Dev] Name for Page's L test

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 09:54:57 EST 2021

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM <rlucas7 at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2021, at 7:41 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:04 PM <rlucas7 at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> IIUC this is a test of monotonicity, that is what is implied w/the colloquial expression “trending upward”, so I’m confused as to why this isn’t a trend.
>>
>> Perhaps the author has conflated the more specific “Linear trend”?
>

> I think the point they are making is that the null hypothesis gets rejected for even a single treatment being (consistently) lower than the following one. Whereas one might expect a "trend" to span across the whole (or substantial part of) the treatment space.
>
> I'm afraid I don't care enough about this area of statistics to dive any deeper.
>
> I don't really mind one way or the other. I'd rather name it something that helps people find it even if some experts may quibble about the strict accuracy of the name. Some combination of `page` and `trend` seems to me to be better than just `page` or `pagel`.
>

> I concur.

I agree with "Some combination of `page` and `trend` seems to me to be better"

I have seen "trend test" used in several cases for tests of equality
with trending, ordered, monotonic alternatives.
There might be other trend tests that end up in scipy.stats, so
qualifying by "page" is appropriate.

`page_l_test` is more like `mood`, not famous enough to remember what
it does without looking it up.

Aside
In statsmodels I would use something that combines "rank" and "trend".
(I ended up using `rank_compare_2indep` for my version of
brunner_munzel test and statistic in statsmodels.)

Josef