[SciPy-Dev] Name for Page's L test

rlucas7 at vt.edu rlucas7 at vt.edu
Tue Jan 5 18:01:51 EST 2021

IIUC this is a test of monotonicity, that is what is implied w/the colloquial expression “trending upward”, so I’m confused as to why this isn’t a trend.

Perhaps the author has conflated the more specific “Linear trend”?

It seems like a *monotone* test, maybe something that indicates monotone? (That would at least be descriptive)

e.g. ‘page_monotone’, a ‘_test’ could be added if we want that part consistent but it’s a long name at that point.

I could also see arguments for dropping ‘page’ from the name. The test isn’t a standard/ubiquitous one like t or binomial tests so the need for following a convention is less.

Unless we want to match R in naming.

My 2cents.

-Lucas Roberts