[SciPy-Dev] Outstanding hyp2f1 PRs

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 11:23:25 EST 2021

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 1:05 AM Former Physicist <Former at physicist.net>
wrote:

> Hello scipy-dev,
>
> I have several outstanding (and now stale) PRs that fix some issues with
> the hypergeometric function. They are as follows:
>
> 8548 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/8548>
> 8151 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/8151>
> 8110 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/8110>
>
> The first two (8548 and 8151) are old enough that they now have failing
> CI/CD pipelines.  (When I opened these PRs 3 years ago, I'm pretty sure
> they were passing. I'm guessing you guys updated or changed your pipelines
> in the meantime.)
>
> For 8548, there is a unit test that is failing in the scipy.signal module
> (the test_symmetry unit test). I tried troubleshooting this over the
> summer, but I was not able to find the issue.  This unit test passes
> locally on my laptop and only seems to fail in the azure pipeline for a
> specific environment.
>
> For 8151, another developer h-vetinari has created another duplicate PR (
> 13310 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/13310>) of mine and has
> actually fixed the CI/CD issues.  I don't know if h-vetinari is on this
> list but I will leave a comment on github telling him how to subscribe.
>
> So my questions are as follows:
> * Can someone help me troubleshoot the failing unit tests in 8548?  I do
> not know much about scipy's travis/azure pipelines or whatever and have no
> idea how to fix that stuff.

The CI logs have disappearing (they get deleted after, I think, a month or
so), so you'll have to re-run them. Maybe rebase on current master, or
merge master into your branch. A scipy.signal failure sounds unrelated
though, and if so you can ignore it. If you comment on the PR if it fails
again I'll have a look.

* What is the right procedure for fixing 8151?  I'm perfectly fine with
> h-vetinari fixing those issues as I don't currently have time to follow-up.
> But would it make more sense just to merge h-vetinari's changes into the
> branch of my original PR?

That would work too. Note that h-veterinari isn't a SciPy maintainer, so
they weren't able to push to your branch directly. At this point you could
make them a collaborator on your fork to push forward the original, or keep
the new PR - either way is fine, you can work it out together.

> * In general, what can be done to speed up the closing of these PRs?  It's
> been around 2-3 years I think...

Yeah, that's the trouble with PRs that are for highly specialized
algorithmic code like hyp2f1 - we only have a few maintainers with deep
knowledge on those, so if they're busy then review is difficult. From my
perspective it's actually helpful if two people collaborate on a PR, like
for PR 8151. If two contributors are both happy, that makes the job for the
maintainer who needs to merge it a lot easier.

> Starting next week and up to the end of probably February, I'm going to be
> pretty busy and probably won't be able to work on those PRs.  But after
> that, I should be free to respond to reviewer comments and help expedite
> the closing of these PRs.

Sounds good!

Cheers,
Ralf