[SciPy-Dev] Can a PR be configured to run only the build of the docs?

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:11:58 EDT 2021

On 4/28/21, Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/28/21, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 9:18 PM Warren Weckesser
>> <warren.weckesser at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am working on an addition to the docs that only touches one existing
>>> .rst file and adds one new .rst file.    For the initial pull request,
>>> I want to run just CircleCI and generate the CircleCI docs artifact. I
>>> haven't followed all the changes to how CI is currently configured and
>>> run.  Is there text that I can add to the commit message (or some
>>> other method) so that only the CircleCI jobs are run?
>>>

>> Not all providers support this, Azure is the worst. Travis CI has `[skip
>> travis]`  and for GH Actions we use a custom `[skip github]` inside our
>> action yaml files (I think it works, but not 100% sure - let us know if
>> you
>> try it).
>
> Thanks Ralf.  I used [skip travis] and [skip actions] to skip Travis
> and GitHub Actions, resp. (see
> https://github.blog/changelog/2021-02-08-github-actions-skip-pull-request-and-push-workflows-with-skip-ci/).
>
> I found https://github.com/Microsoft/azure-pipelines-agent/issues/1270,
> and immediately tried [skip azurepipelines] when I saw that in the
> thread.  If I had continued reading, I would have seen the comments
> (including yours!) about this not working in PRs.  So instead, I added
> a temporary commit to the PR that simply removes the file
> 'azure-pipelines.yml'.

By the way, the PR is https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/13955.  It
proposes some new coding and docstring guidelines.  It is marked
"draft" because of the commit that removes the Azure pipelines
configuration file--it should definitely not be merged as is!--but it
is actually ready for comments.  The motivation for the new guidelines
is given in the description of the PR.  A direct link to the proposed
guidelines on CircleCI is
https://29996-1460385-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/html-scipyorg/dev/missing-bits.html

Warren