[SciPy-Dev] Delay Differential Equation (DDE) solver

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu May 28 04:47:32 EDT 2020

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:47 PM Jansen Jérôme <jrme.jansen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ralf,
> I was very happy to read your answer and see that my piece of code could
> interest the SciPy community!
>
> About maintenance of the solver, it won't be a problem for me to help with
> that.
>
> Indeed, this issue 818 was opened a long time ago and did not interest
> many people ... I note that already in 2013 the references of L.F. Shampine
> and S. Thompson were already cited.
>
> As you pointed out, DDEs are very specific and a big problem will be
> finding a charitable soul to review the code. Being at my first attempt to
> contribute, I imagine that I have to wait for a reviewer(s) ..?

Being new doesn't imply you go to the back of the line - we're very happy
to see new contributors. That said, we do have a perpetual backlog, so it
depends on finding someone else with both interest and some expertise.  It
doesn't have to be a SciPy maintainer. What has worked well in the past for
such larger features is finding another domain expert to
test/review/collaborate. With two people saying "this solves my problem and
the algorithm looks correct" it becomes a lot easier to review, getting it
to meet SciPy's code and test requirements is usually a lot less work than
figuring out whether the algorithmic part is right.

Cheers,
Ralf