[SciPy-Dev] New documentation section: "SciPy API Development Guide"

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat May 9 08:11:38 EDT 2020

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 5:43 AM Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I just created a pull request in which I started a new subsection of
> the developer documentation called the "SciPy API Development Guide".
> As I write this, the CircleCI artifact containing the new page is
>

> https://19020-1460385-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/html-scipyorg/dev/api-dev/api-dev-toc.html

That looks like a good idea to me, thanks Warren. So far this lived at the
bottom of the core developer guide:
http://scipy.github.io/devdocs/dev/core-dev/index.html#module-specific-instructions.
Could you move the scipy.special docs there over to this new API
Development Guide?

The first item to be included in this section is a design
> specification for the `nan_policy` argument that is used in many
> functions in `scipy.stats`.  We'll be adding `nan_policy` to more
> functions, so I think it will be helpful to have an explicit design
> spec in the docs that we all agree on.

+1 that would be super helpful.

> Two more topics to be added to the guidelines soon:
> * Creating probability distributions in stats: a guide to subclassing
> rv_continuous and rv_discrete.
> * Modifying return values to allow objects with attributes while
> maintaining backward compatibility with existing return values that
> are tuples or NamedTuples.

Both of these also sound very useful. For namedtuples, you probably should
also include or at least reference the Bunch design pattern (we have it in
`integrate` and `signal`, there's still an open issue for `stats`).

Cheers,
Ralf