[SciPy-Dev] Translating Documentation into Spanish

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:47:19 EDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 6:45 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luis, welcome
>

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 6:47 PM Matt Haberland <mhaberla at calpoly.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> These are just my thoughts; someone who has been around longer will
>> likely know more, but it might take longer to get that response.
>>
>> It looks like Sphinx (our documentation system) supports
>> internationalization
>> <https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/advanced/intl.html#using-transifex-service-for-team-translation> and
>> there are services (e.g. Transifex <https://www.transifex.com/>) that
>> make crowdsourcing easier. The difficult part is probably building a team
>> that will review one another's work and maintain the translations as the
>> English documentation changes. I imagine that users of the documentation
>> might also want to file bug reports in Spanish, but that might be more
>> difficult to support.
>>
>> > Is there a project already that is translating the documentation into
>> Spanish so that I can join?
>> I don't know of existing projects, but others might have a better idea of
>> the history.
>>
>> > What kind of qualifications do I need? (I have already translated some
>> technical books for my own learning and entertainment.)
>> Probably the ones you have, then. Anyone can contribute to the English
>> documentation, and changes are reviewed for quality by maintainers before
>> inclusion in SciPy. I suppose that the same would be true of Spanish
>> translations, except there would need to be a team of translation
>> maintainers.
>>
>> > How do I start? Do I just start translating? If so, when I have
>> something finished who do I send it to?
>> Unless there is an existing project, someone will need to research how to
>> manage this sort of project before actual translations could be used.
>> I'd suggest contributing to SciPy's English documentation
>> <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3ADocumentation>
>> first, and meanwhile, maybe contribute to the Sphinx documentation
>> translation <https://www.transifex.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx-doc/> to see
>> how that process works. Then I would suggest writing up your thoughts on
>> how a SciPy documentation translation project might be organized and how it
>> could work technically in order to produce and maintain high-quality
>> translations.
>>

> I think translating the SciPy docs isn't the best place to start, because
> it's an enormous task. Here is what I wrote for the NumPy website, which I
> think is a good place to start and needs both working out a few kinks in
> the workflow and doing the translation in some of the most-used languages
> (including Spanish):

Sorry, sent too early.

https://numpy.org/neps/nep-0028-website-redesign.html#translation-multilingual-i18n
https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org/issues/55

Now that that website is launched, translations can be tackled.

For SciPy, we should do something similar after that (assuming for NumPy
it's successful) - start with the most high-level content.

Cheers,
Ralf