[SciPy-Dev] Missing whitespace after commas in pycodestyle check

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 30 01:42:59 EST 2020

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:03:46 +0800, Kai Striega wrote:
>  +1 for Ralph's idea to run pycodestyle/pyflakes with all checks we want
> enabled, but only on the diff in the PR. Cleaning would also be quite
> important, I imagine quite a few potential contributors would be put of by
> having to fix *existing* PEP8 violations so Ilhan's scripts would also be
> useful.

We have been using https://pep8speaks.com/ — a GitHub integration.
Works pretty well for reporting PEP transgressions.

Here is an example comment generated:

https://github.com/cesium-ml/baselayer/pull/71#issuecomment-541254369

Another approach is the one taken by Napari, which is to automatically
run Black to format every contribution.  The only disadvantage is that
you need developers to install a pre-commit hook which, in their case,
they do using the pre-commit package:

pre-commit install

(see https://github.com/napari/napari/blob/master/docs/CONTRIBUTING.md)

Best regards,