[SciPy-Dev] Scientific Python: Using SciPy for Optimization by Bryan Weber at Real Python - Jan 20, 2020

Robert Lucente - Pipeline.Com rlucente at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 20 17:32:15 EST 2020

SciPy can be overwhelming for newbies. I am trying to find a single artifact
which I can point them to.

I believe that "Scientific Python: Using SciPy for Optimization" by Bryan
Weber (https://realpython.com/python-scipy-cluster-optimize/) satisfies this
criteria. It not only talks about SciPy but the entire ecosystem. It then
demonstrates SciPy w/ specific examples of clustering and minimzing a
function. The demonstrations involve code so that people can see how easy it
is to use.

At the same time, the article is long enough and technical enough to work as
the "are you serious test?". No sense in wasting the readers time or other
peoples time if they are not serious.

Real Python has a really good reputation and so when I recommend it to
people they are likely to pay attention. It won't just be another web page.

Also, B. Weber has written a lot of good stuff
(https://realpython.com/team/bweber/). For example "MATLAB vs Python: Why
and How to Make the Switch" (https://realpython.com/matlab-vs-python/).

Long winded way of saying that the article has good credentials.

I am new to SciPy and my math is rusty, please consider reviewing the
article for technical accuracy.

>the graphics? the tone? the critique of SciPy?

Any other perspectives on the article would be appreciated.