[SciPy-Dev] ENH: Implement a Quadratic Assignment Problem Solver

Søren Fuglede Jørgensen scipy-dev at fuglede.dk
Fri Feb 21 13:43:35 EST 2020

Hi all

Regarding where the implementation could live, let me also quickly note that in https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/10296#issuecomment-512850498, we had a bit of discussion on how a sparsity-friendly implementation of linear_sum_assignment could find a natural home in csgraph, perhaps as csgraph.minimum_weight_full_matching. (FWIW, I still haven't given up on solving the licensing issue mentioned in that thread, but let me use this discussion as an excuse to push for an update.) In that case, we would want to spell out the link between that algorithm and its scipy.optimize counterpart clearly in the documentation, to ensure discoverability. Similarly, in this case, if the QAP implementation ends up it csgraph, it would be useful to be able to find it through scipy.optimize somehow (would having a simple alias in scipy.optimize be overkill/confusing?)

Søren