[SciPy-Dev] Newbie question: submitting PRs, review

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 21:57:26 EST 2020

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 6:46 PM Tom Roderick <thomas.roderick at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So is the way forward to:
> (1) Write a minimal PR
> (2) Bring open discussion?
>
> The issue appears to be pretty old, and now I'm concerned that people may
> be expecting one metric and getting another!

True. The alternatives would be to either add a FutureWarning before making
the switch, or deprecating and then introducing the right metric under a
different name.

I think if it's really a clear cut bug, we can make the switch and add an
entry in the "backwards incompatible changes" section of the release notes
to explain it.

> Happy to roll up my sleeves, want to make sure there isn't another blocker
> here outside of a working branch?

I think the PR I linked to made the same change you're proposing, but it
was really large and got abandoned. If you make a small PR with just this
change and a clear explanation, I think there won't be another blocker.

Cheers,
Ralf