[SciPy-Dev] language labels in github issues/PRs?

Lucas Roberts rlucas7 at vt.edu
Sat Feb 1 11:56:56 EST 2020

Hi scipy-dev,

I was looking at my stack of emails for scipy and noticed some comments on:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/3203#
and that the c code is involved. In the past I've marked these types of
emails for myself to flag for follow up (e.g. I'd like to work on them if
still open in the future). Problem is that the stack of these flags gets
too large in my inbox. I noticed there aren't tags for language in the
scipy github. Scipy has C, C++, Cython, Fortran, and Python (I think that
is all) used in various places.

My question is would it be helpful to have language tags?

We probably wouldnt' want a python tag but if an issue or a PR touches
C/C++/Cython/fortran adding a label would help discoverability and
exclusion.

This might help searching of new contributors and for core team, e.g. you
could search for issues touching c code (in my case) or exclude issues
touching fortran (also my case, I don't know fortran).

I didn't know how to exclude it Github and learned that it has some
searching functionality that allows to exclude issues/PRs with certain tags:

https://help.github.com/en/github/searching-for-information-on-github/searching-issues-and-pull-requests#search-by-label

--
Sincerely,
-Lucas