[SciPy-Dev] Thanks wiki protocol

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 18:55:24 EDT 2020

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 9:43 PM <rlucas7 at vt.edu> wrote:

> Hi scipy-dev,
>
> For work on the 1.5 release we used a wiki rather than have people add
> commits to the thanks file in the repo.
> I’m assuming this was to alleviate rebase conflicts to merge. My question
> is,
>
> Is using a wikifor tracking thanks to add in each release the way we track
> thanks entries moving forward?
>
> To be clear these would be separate wiki pages from the release notes wiki
> pages.

That does sound like a good idea.

A perhaps even better one is to retire the THANKS.txt file. It really
doesn't have much value, is very inconsistently updated and old entries are
horribly out of date (e.g. Pauli is thanked for docs work and interpolation
bug fixes - that doesn't quite cover his contributions :)).

I'd prefer to extract the relevant historical info and put that on the
website. Or just have a full list of contributors that's autogenerated. The
thanks to institutions at the bottom of the file already lives at
https://scipy.org/scipylib/donations.html#acknowledgements

Cheers,
Ralf