[SciPy-Dev] changing scipy.org to just be about SciPy the library

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 24 17:41:46 EDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019, at 14:31, Matt Haberland wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea to me. I agree with the main points (not much content about the ecosystem as it is, and we can certainly link to an "ecosystem site" for backwards compatibility).
>
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 2:59 AM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The https://scipy.org/ website has always been about SciPy the ecosystem not SciPy the project/library, and it's always resulted in confusion. I propose we finally change that. From my review of a recent PR [1] to the scipy.org website repo:

I support making the website clearer.

W.r.t. Joe's concern: if we spell out "scientific Python ecosystem" as we've been doing recently, and use "SciPy library", it's fairly easy to disambiguate.

It may also be worth clarifying our position in/relative to "PyData", which thus far has stood mostly for industry applications of the same ecosystem.

We also own https://scientific-python.org, even though that domain is not currently in use.

Best regards,
Stéfan