[SciPy-Dev] changing scipy.org to just be about SciPy the library

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 05:59:03 EDT 2019

Hi all,

The https://scipy.org/ website has always been about SciPy the ecosystem
not SciPy the project/library, and it's always resulted in confusion. I
propose we finally change that.  From my review of a recent PR [1] to the
scipy.org website repo:

"""
Perhaps the confusing thing here is that https://scipy.org is about "SciPy
the ecosystem" rather than "SciPy the library". That's what we would really
like to fix, then this becomes a lot more straightforward. So far I had in
mind to have a replacement "ecosystem site" before changing scipy.org,
however we could go without that. There really isn't that much content on
the current site that we'd have to remove, and some of the things that are
there now (like SciPy Stack) have become irrelevant. We could easily say
that `scipy.org` will be about SciPy the library, while keeping a page like
https://scipy.org/about.html that explains the ecosystem context.
"""

Besides some news about and doc hosting for NumPy releases, there's not
much content about other projects, and those other projects don't seem to
care. The "ecosystem" thing really has had its time. "SciPy ecosystem"
isn't even a preferred term anymore I think, the "scientific" is seen as
too narrow by a lot of people. PyData or NumPy would be better qualifiers
(or some new umbrella term).

We may not be able to do all the work straight away, but I want to get
approval for the decision to make scipy.org about the SciPy project now.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ralf

[1] https://github.com/scipy/scipy.org/pull/309