[SciPy-Dev] Directory for performance analysis

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 09:40:51 EDT 2019

Although scipy has a directory ("benchmarks") for automatically testing how
the performance of individual functions has changed, there is no directory
as far as I have found for analysis of how particular approaches to the
same problem compare.  I think it would be worthwhile to have one.

For example the "scipy.signal.convolve" function has code to automatically
choose whether to use the conventional convolution algorithm or the
FFT-based algorithm, based on an analysis someone did.  However, I cannot
find the code that actually carried out that analysis.  This is important
because I want to extend that analysis to include another algorithm.

There are a bunch of other situations where particular approaches are
recommended as being faster in certain situations, or faster by certain
amounts in certain situations.

So I think that having a directory inside the scipy source tree that
includes analyses like that would be worthwhile.  I was thinking something
like "benchmarks/analysis", although it could also be part of the
documentation proper.