[SciPy-Dev] Google Season of Docs

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 15:07:57 EDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:10 PM Christoph Baumgarten <
christoph.baumgarten at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> taking up Ralf's mail on GSoD, I had a look at the website and propose to
> apply.
>
> My project suggestion would be to work on the documentation of a module
> like stats:
>

> - improve the tutorial site
> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/tutorial/stats.html
> - improve the documentation of the API
>   - check whether current descriptions can be improved
>   - add examples and references
>   - cross-ref to other relevant / similar functions in the module
>
> The second point would require decent knowledge of statistics whereas the
> first point should be easier to tackle for a technical writer. So I see the
> second point as optional and one could also try to work on the tutorial
> site of more than one module during the 3-month period.
>

> The task would leave quite a bit of freedom to the writer to choose what
> areas to focus on, potentially taking up some of the documentation issues
> that are already on Github.
>
> I could assist as a mentor for stats (we need at least two mentors).
>
> Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks Christoph, this sounds like a good idea to me. We have a lot of
content on scipy.stats, and a tech writer could really make a difference in
making that easier to understand for users. I suggest we write this up as
an idea on our (to be created) ideas page as soon as we know whether we
have an umbrella organization that we can participate with.

Cheers,
Ralf