[SciPy-Dev] pybind11 dependency (was: scipy.fft submodule)

Andrew Nelson andyfaff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 18:10:41 EDT 2019

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 04:09, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that a few people were surprised that SciPy master now has a
> pybind11 dependency and asked if it was discussed on this list (to which I
> didn't have an immediate answer), replying to this thread with a more
> explicit subject.

<snip>

> So far pybind11 seems to have worked fine, except that it's not yet
> documented in all our build instructions (there's open PRs for this though,
> it's just waiting for Matt's larger devdocs overhaul), and that we seem to
> require a fairly recent version of pybind11.
> If there's any other missing docs or concerns, please bring them up here.

Sigh. Having difficulties installing pybind on macOS, Python3.7.2, with pip
19.1.1. I guess I'll have to delve into this further. I was expecting the
install to be straightforward.

(dev3) 192-168-1-101:scipy-articles andrew$ pip install pybind

Collecting pybind

  Using cached
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/39/25/357918ab3113ac886ae5a24413063633040ab9bba66a95c0a13f8f42315e/pybind-0.1.35.tar.gz

Collecting pyangbind-brcd>=0.6.14 (from pybind)

  Using cached
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/2d/12/299ccb698d0bfc0da6a7fc7165e1697160c178e4839df286bac45843f2d2/pyangbind-brcd-0.6.14.tar.gz

    ERROR: Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:

    ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):

      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

      File
"/private/var/folders/m8/gwtcncws12jf60xw5n6knwnw0000gn/T/pip-install-1enlx25j/pyangbind-brcd/setup.py",
line 2, in <module>

        from pip.req import parse_requirements

    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip.req'

ERROR: Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
/private/var/folders/m8/gwtcncws12jf60xw5n6knwnw0000gn/T/pip-install-1enlx25j/pyangbind-brcd/