[SciPy-Dev] Proposed SciPy 1.3.0 Release Schedule

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 05:48:24 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 9:34 AM Mark Mikofski <mikofski at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi Tyler,
>
> Thanks again for taking on the release management.
>
> Is there anything that we (as contributors) can do to help? Should we be
> reviewing the 1.3.0 milestone PR's? What would be most helpful specifically?

Help with reviewing can be a very valuable contribution, not just for a
particular release but in general. I think many contributors are under the
impression that you need to be a maintainer to review - this definitely
isn't the case, as long as you have the knowledge to understand the code in
a PR you can help a lot. In particular this is the case for larger PRs that
propose new features, because those are often a lot of work to review and
require domain-specific knowledge. Here is an example (also tagged for
1.3.0): https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/7310, adding a logarithmic FFT
implementation. Two kinds of things would be helpful:
- someone who understands FFTs well and can review the implementation
- someone who needs the feature, and can test it and confirm that
everything works as expected

A couple more in the same vein:
- peak declustering for scipy.signal:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/9513
- RotationSpline for scipy.spatial.transform:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/9831
- support for ARFF relational attributes in scipy.io:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/9854

Cheers,
Ralf