[SciPy-Dev] Large Scale Optimization algorithm implementation

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:07:32 EDT 2018

These algorithms look specialized to problems where the optimization
objective can be written as an average over many examples.

This is not necessarily the case for the functions optimized by
scipy.optimize.minimize -- we don't have any equivalent of stochastic
gradient descent. This might be more suitable for libraries that specialize
in these sort of optimization problems, like TensorFlow or pytorch.