[SciPy-Dev] Building From Source on Windows

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 23:45:51 EST 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 1:35 PM Tyler Reddy <tyler.je.reddy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Passing on / better documenting some of the some of the openblas-related
> build knowledge from Matthew Brett is also something that came out as a
> priority form the NumPy dev call / meeting today too.
>
> I've been struggling to deal with some doc inconsistencies / openblas
> issues for CI things lately as well.
>
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 13:23, Christoph Baumgarten <
> christoph.baumgarten at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to follow the instructions on
>>
>> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/doc/source/building/windows.rst
>>
>> to build scipy on Windows.

This is a never-ending pain unfortunately.

>> When trying to clone the repo
>> https://github.com/matthew-brett/build-openblas.git,
>> I noted that this repo has been moved:
>>
>> "This repository retired in favor of
>> https://github.com/matthew-brett/openblas-libs"
>>
>> However, that link is broken. Should it be
>> https://github.com/matthew-brett/OpenBLAS instead?

I strongly suspect it's https://github.com/MacPython/openblas-libs. If you
just want to get OpenBLAS to work right now, I suggest to grab it from the
exact same place as we do for building our release wheels, see the link at
https://github.com/MacPython/scipy-wheels/blob/master/appveyor.yml#L16

>> If that is the case, I still don't know how to continue:
>>
>> The scipy guide says to start the build with ./build_openblas.sh whereas
>> the readme in https://github.com/matthew-brett/OpenBLAS mentions the
>> command "make"
>>
>> Am I looking at the right place? Maybe someone can help.

There's basically two options:
1. If you have access to an Intel Fortran (ifort) compiler. Then use MSVC +
ifort or icc + ifort. Will work out of the box with the current
numpy.distutils and a `python setup.py install`.
2. If you don't have ifort, then the only option is MSVC + gfortran. This
requires a bit of hackery, and a numpy.distutils patch. Following
appveyor.yml from https://github.com/MacPython/scipy-wheels is the way to
get that to work (not fun, sorry). The doc page you linked above is an
outdated version of what happens at
https://github.com/MacPython/scipy-wheels.

Cheers,
Ralf