[SciPy-Dev] SciPy 1.2.0 release schedule

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 01:26:39 EST 2018

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 7:03 PM Mark Alexander Mikofski <
mikofski at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi Tyler and others,
>
> Thanks for managing the v1.2 release.
>
> I think PR #8431, Cython optimize zeros API, is ready, hopefully, to
> merge. It's been through several rounds of reviews and I think I've
> accommodated all of the recommendations, all tests are passing, and there's
> been strong support. Anyone please take a look.
>
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/8431
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018, 2:38 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM Tyler Reddy <tyler.je.reddy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It is almost 6 months after the 1.1.0 release on May 5, so probably time
>>> to plan the 1.2.0 release. It would be a good idea to look over the PRs
>>> with a 1.2.0 milestone
>>> <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A1.2.0>,
>>> and tag anything else that should have this milestone appropriately.
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose the following schedule:
>>>
>>> Nov. 5: branch 1.2.x
>>> Nov. 8: rc1
>>> Nov. 21: rc2 (if needed)
>>> Nov. 30: final release
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> This looks like a good schedule to me. We'll probably struggle to get
>> some PRs marked for 1.2.0 merged, but that's always the case.

Hi Tyler, could we shift the branch date by 2-3 days (or up to a week)?
There's a couple of PRs that I'd really like to see merged or decided on
(for optimize and stats mainly), and there's right now still 18 open PRs
marked for 1.2.0.

A note on the open PRs: what we want to aim for is to have the list of open
PRs and open blocking issues at zero, and have at most some non-blocking
issues under the milestone left. Normally the release manager starts making
those decisions, or pinging people, if other reviewers haven't done so in
time. Of course it would be ideal if everyone has another look at
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A1.2.0
and bumps or finished off PRs he/she is involved in.

Cheers,
Ralf