[SciPy-Dev] New subpackage: scipy.data

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:17:13 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Eric Larson <larson.eric.d at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Top-level module for them alone sounds overkill, and I'm not sure if
>> discoverability alone is enough.
>>

> Fine by me. And if we follow the idea that these should be added
> sparingly, we can maintain discoverability without it growing out of
> hand by populating the See Also sections of each function.

I agree with this, the 2 images and 1 ECG signal (to be added) that we have
doesn't justify a top-level module. We don't want to grow more than the
absolute minimum of datasets. The package is already very large, which is
problematic in certain cases. E.g. numpy + scipy still fits in the AWS
Lambda limit of 50 MB, but there's not much margin.

Ralf