[SciPy-Dev] New subpackage: scipy.data

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:52:34 EDT 2018

I also think that at most small datasets should be included in scipy directly.
But I think that for online storage scipy would be better off following
some other packages.
Stefan mentions some attempts to get to a common format.
AFAIK without being up to date, both scikit-learn and scikit-image use access
to larger datasets.

For example, a dataset package also runs into the problem how much to
include. I wouldn't install a dataset package with a few gigabyte of data
if I'm only interested in a tiny fraction for the examples that are
relevant to me.
(I'm not into analyzing images, movies or BIG DATA.)

Josef