[SciPy-Dev] New subpackage: scipy.data

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 17:34:14 EDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Lars G. <lagru at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Is there a reason not to include those function where they'll most
> likely be used? Meaning the images `ascent` and `face` could move to
> `scipy.ndimage` and the signal `electrocardiogram` to `scipy.signal`?

It would make them harder to discover, at least for me.

On the developer side, if everything is in one subpackage, it would be
easier to keep track how many bytes are being consumed by data. The
scipy.datasets namespace would be a good place to put any common
data-loading code (for instance, if we start adding large datasets that
will be downloaded upon first use rather than being distributed in the
scipy wheel).

--
Robert Kern