[SciPy-Dev] Numba as a dependency for SciPy?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 07:50:57 EDT 2018

Hi Eleftherios,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 1:50 AM, Eleftherios Garyfallidis
<garyfallidis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I looked recently quite deeply into Numba as a possible dependency for DIPY.
> My opinion is that Numba is not ready to be a dependency for Dipy and
> neither numpy/scipy too. Actually, you can often easily beat Numba's speed
> with a bit of Cython code. That is because often Numba is not smart enough
> in porting some code from Python to C. I think the benchmarks out there are
> a bit misleading by comparing only very specific things or very simple
> functions. I understand the excitement but we should be realistic too. The
> way you write fast code in C can be very different from how you write in
> Python. Definitely Numba has incredible potential but we need to give it a
> bit more time to mature also we need more generic benchmarks. I would love
> to hear what the creators of Numba think too.

Did you see Matthew Rocklin's blog post at
https://matthewrocklin.com/blog/work/2018/01/30/the-case-for-numba ?

Have a look at the section near the end "Update from the original
blogpost authors" - your impression reminded me of those comments.

Cheers,

Matthew