[SciPy-Dev] Numba as a dependency for SciPy?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 02:56:49 EST 2018

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Numba does have a mechanism for exporting pre-compiled code:
> http://numba.pydata.org/numba-doc/dev/user/pycc.html
>
> It would be interesting to see if those limitations are flexible enough
> for SciPy.

I suspect that (a) we're then going to run into more Numba bugs because
pre-compilation is not well-tested, and (b) we throw away some of the
advantages of Numba, e.g. we then get back the binary size explosion for
multiple dtype templating.

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:21 PM CJ Carey <perimosocordiae at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think adding a required runtime dependency may be overly restrictive,
>> given scipy's position near(-ish) the base of the scientific computing
>> pyramid.
>>
>> Would it be possible to run numba-optimized code on systems with numba
>> installed without impacting "vanilla" users?

It's worth thinking about. We could put a jit decorator in scipy._lib that
becomes numba @jit if numba is installed and is do-nothing otherwise.

Ralf