[SciPy-Dev] GSoC 2018: Cythonizing

Nikolay Mayorov nikolay.mayorov at zoho.com
Thu Mar 1 08:13:08 EST 2018

Hey, Lars!

I don't want to rob other potential ideas or mentors, but you mentioned that you think that rotation formalism idea is already for someone else. It is absolutely not the case, nothing is settled, and if you are interested in this subject --- I'm interested to see your ideas or a proposal (and Eric Larson likely as well).

Best,

Nikolay

---- On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 16:20:10 +0500 Lars G. <lagru at mailbox.org> wrote ----

On 28.02.2018 16:04, Eric Larson wrote:

> For GSoC we need to ensure (at least) that the project fits 1) the needs

> of SciPy, 2) the GSoC program scope / timeline, 3) possible mentors, and

> 4) your goals. My sense is that a proposal based on code Cythonizing

> (with proper benchmark testing and regression protection) would be good

> for SciPy maintainability and could be crafted to have a reasonable

> scope. In terms of mentors, I feel comfortable mentoring changes to the

> `signal` module but not `ndimage`, so we'd need to find a qualified

> primary volunteer mentor if that ends up being the primary proposal

> direction.

Actually, considering that my background lies in electrical engineering

I'd be more than happy to focus on the `signal` module. And from the

other response it seems like cythonizing `ndimage` wouldn't be a good idea.

> Another thing to keep in mind is that the list of GSoC ideas is not

> meant to be exhaustive. So if you have some other ideas for SciPy

> functionality, feel free to throw those out for discussion as well. In

> my experience, genuine intrinsic enthusiasm for a project -- finding

> something you'd enjoy working on in your free time even if you weren't

> getting paid to do so -- can help make for successful GSoC applications

> and experiences.

So there would be enough candidates for Cythonization in `scipy.signal`

to fit the scope of GSoC? I myself can only guess where this would be

wanted and useful.

It doesn't have to be Cythonizing either. I'd be happy to add missing

functionality to the `signal` module or rework stuff that needs it.

The content in

https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-1.0.0/reference/roadmap.html#signal

doesn't seem to be a good fit for a GSoC project. The only thing I can

think of right now is to extend the API for and add more adaptive filters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_filter

Again, I'm not sure this is wanted or if I'm judging the need correctly.

If you guys have any ideas or wishes in that direction I'd be happy to

hear them.

Best regards,

Lars

SciPy-Dev at python.org