[SciPy-Dev] What we do struggle with is lack of progress on big-ticket items

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 23 18:29:35 EST 2018

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:49:48 -0800, Matt Haberland wrote:
> Funny, I was just writing about this to suggest videos, too.
>
> I looked on YouTube but didn't find anything useful when searching for
> numpy/scipy development environment/workflow.

Here is the scikit-image contributor guide:

http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/contribute.html

It can do with some love, but it's probably quite similar to what we use
in SciPy.  Perhaps it's worth collectively updating such a set of notes
first, that we can then turn into a series of small video snippets?

> Besides the day-to-day workflow, I also had a hard time getting my
> development environment set up initially. A video on that would be really
> helpful, too.

For that, I suggest we make one opinionated choice of environment for
illustrative purposes.  We can probably come up with a set of 5 or 10
things that a workable editing environment needs to have (spaces not
tabs, PEP8 checker, etc.).

Stéfan