[SciPy-Dev] Proposal for some new fitting routines

Joseph Fox-Rabinovitz jfoxrabinovitz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:40:52 EDT 2018

I have added a function for fitting exponential and power curves. This
seems to
be a fairly common problem (e.g., see the list of selections from stack
exchange
below). The algorithm I have implemented here is objectively better than the
common solution of fitting to log(y) because it requires no up-front
knowledge
of the intercept, or any other estimations.

Assuming that this PR is acceptable, I would like to get some criticism on
where
I chose to put it in the directory structure. My thought was to create a
separate
module for such common non-iterative optimizations.

I am also unsure of whether my citation of the original work is formatted
properly. I would like to make sure that the author gets the credit and
publicity they
deserve. The paper is mentioned (by the author) in answers to [1] and [2]
below.

List of relevant stack exchange questions:

[1]:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3938042/fitting-exponential-decay-with-no-initial-guessing